Friday, November 14, 2014

Beardy Goodness

Incredibeard - Isaiah Webb
So, last night, I participated in a great event to help celebrate the release of an anthology of sexy stories by some of my online buddies . . . The Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires. We all had a great time and I met some new and fabulous folks...and picked up a few new friends on my Facebook page.
One of the best discussions we had on my side of things was the topic of men with beards in romance, erotica, and erotic romance. We all shared some feelings on the matter, and shared some photos of some great bearded men!

The general consensus was that a lot of women didn't realize some of the men they were attracted to were beardies! And some of those who were deadset against men with facial hair, quickly changed their minds when we shared some of photos of hunky bearded men.

Here's the link if you want to check out the discussion.

One of the main reasons I posed the question 'to beard or not to beard', was because I'm about to release a new volume in the City Nights Series from Tirgearr Publishing -- One Night in Dublin (out 27 February 2015).

In my book, the hero has a beard. Not just facial scruff, but a full-on, fist full of whiskers beard. I've never written a bearded hero before, nor a bad guy for that matter, so this was a great challenge for me.

Other great challenges were writing in the first person/present tense, and setting a full story within a 24 hour time frame. But those are subjects for another post. Today, I'm sharing some images of some great bearded men who have cropped up on the big screen in the last year or two.

I also want to shore up the prediction I made over the summer while writing One Night in Dublin. That is, we'll see more bearded heroes in 2015. Not the facial scruff kind, but the full-on, fist full of whiskers kind ;-)

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo on Game of Thrones
Anson Mount from Hell on Wheels
Aaron Kaufmann from Fast and Loud (Gas Monkeys Garage)
Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok and Clive Standen as Rolo on Vikings
Liam Neeson in Star Wars
Timothy Olyphant from Justified
So, if you've gotten this far in the post, I'd love to hear your thoughts on 'to beard or not to beard' when it comes to the heroes in the books you read. I bet you have some favorite actors or other performers who have beards and you really never thought if you liked them because of their beard or not . . . George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Hugh Jackman, Chuck Norris, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Russell Brand, Leonardo Di Caprio . . . the list goes on. I'd love to hear some of your favorites. Those above are some of mine.

You can find me on Facebook and Twitter to share your comments.

More coming soon about One Night in Dublin. Watch this space!